Kara Swisher from All Things D and Alexa Tsotsis from TechCrunch have confirmed that Apple will be hosting an event in New York City later this month. They note, however, that the event won’t be a major event so don’t expect to see any new product releases. The event is claimed to be more publisher industry-oriented and would focus on publishing on iBooks.
The details of the event are still very thin at the moment, so we’ll let you know as we hear more about it.
**Update 1/3/12 – Nothing more than speculation at this point but Clayton Morris is reporting more information/speculation from his sources on his site:
- This event will focus on iTunes University and Apple in education
- I learned of the event back in September when it was originally scheduled for late Fall in New York but it was eventually postponed.
- The event will be in New York rather than in the Silicon Valley because New York is more centrally located for textbook and publishing.
- This initiative has been in the making for years.
- The announcement will be small in size but large in scope: a big announcement in a demure space.
- I expect at least two large project announcements as they relate to Apple in education.
- Steve Jobs was intinimately involved with this project before his passing. He gave a hat tip to the textbook side of this project in the Isaacson biography.
- This will not be a hardware-related announcement.
Image Source: Flaimdude on deviantART