Update 2/7/12 Well so much for that! TheNextWeb apparently followed up with Samsung and the representative confirmed that Samsung will NOT be announcing anything new at the March 22nd event in France. There has been a few reports of a May launch of the next generation Galaxy but nothing concrete so far.
Recently we’ve been hearing a lot about the upcoming follow-up model to the Samsung Galaxy S2, the Samsung Galaxy S3. Some claim the next model would be the Galaxy S2 Plus and some, the Galaxy S3.
Samsung officially announced that the Samsung Galaxy S III will not be released at the Mobile World Congress 2012, so with that event out of the way, UnleashThePhones reports from The Verge’s report that March 22nd would be the next date to look forward to.
The Verge reports that Samsung is scheduled to have a media event in France – nothing has been said so far in regards to what will be announced. If rumors are of any indication to the finished product, the Galaxy S III may feature a 4.6-inch 720p Super AMOLED Plus display, a 1.8GHz dual-core Exynos processor, 2GB RAM, a 12-megapixel camera – all of this within just 7 mm (0.28 in) in thickness.
To give you an idea on how thin the proposed Galaxy S III would be, the Galaxy S II is 0.33 inches thick and the iPhone 4S is 0.37 inches thick. If these numbers are true about the Galaxy S III, its thickness would be just 75% of the iPhone 4S, which is pretty impressive.
These numbers and specifications are still rumors, however, but it seems like we may be seeing the Samsung Galaxy S III sooner rather than later.
As always, we’ll keep you up to date on the latest, so stay tuned!
Image Credit: Know Your Mobile
- Samsung Galaxy S III detailed with May launch date (gigaom.com)
- Samsung Galaxy S3 to be 7mm thin, rolling out in May 2012? (ubergizmo.com)
- Samsung Galaxy S III expected to be just 7mm thick, launch in May (thenextweb.com)
- Samsung Galaxy S III to be thinner than iPhone 4S at just 7mm thick? (pocketables.net)
- Samsung Galaxy S III: Can ‘the best Android’ phone pull off a sequel? – Christian Science Monitor (csmonitor.com)
- Samsung Galaxy S3 with flexible display spotted? (ubergizmo.com)