The next generation iPad, noted as the “iPad 3″, have been stirring up a lot of rumors lately and with its rumored launch in the coming weeks, we now seem to have a picture of a rear shell casing of the iPad 3.
RepairLabs supposedly obtained an image from their insider industry sources in China that resembles that of an iPad 2 and what looks to be the iPad 3. The rear casings indicate only minor changes to the current iPad 2 design – most notably the projected size difference of the logic board and minor differences to the lens casing.
A. You can see here that the mounts for the logic board are very different, which means the logic board shape will be different allowing for . . . .
B. More battery. The width of where the logic board sits on the iPad 2 appears much larger than that of the iPad 3. We have long heard that the iPad 3 was going to provide longer battery life, and this back housing seems to support that.
C. The camera is different. It is hard to make a judgment just by looking at the casing, but what we can expect is a different camera on the iPad 3 than what we had on the 2.
D. LCD will be different than what we have had before. Whether or not it will be the super screen we have seen reported will have to wait. But the different mounting does mean that the LCD has been redesigned at the very least.
The iPad 3 has been rumored to equip a high resolution display (“retina display”), however RepairLabs reports that either the screen isn’t available yet or kept top secret even from the industry sources.
Macrumors also points out a few rumors that have been floating around the web lately, most notably the possible installation of quad-core processor “A6″ chip that supports LTE connectivity for their ‘carrier’ models.
- This photo suggests that the iPad 3 will come with a larger battery (thenextweb.com)
- Photo of iPad 3 Rear Shell Suggests Minor Physical Changes, Larger Battery (macrumors.com)
- iPad 3 housing spotted? (ubergizmo.com)
- iPad 3 to feature IGZO displays from Sharp? (ubergizmo.com)
- News: Claimed iPad 3 casing shows new camera, mounting holes (ilounge.com)
- The iPad 3′s A6 Processor to be Dual-Core? [iOS Blog] (macrumors.com)
- iPad 3 spyshots point to LTE capability, quad-core A6 processor (ubergizmo.com)