Siri on the iPhone 4S is a wonderful tool. I ask her to set my reminders, set my alarm, ask about the weather – she even tells me if my flight’s delayed or not.
She does all this…only in English (and French and German).
When Siri launched back in October, Apple announced that Siri will be available under English (USA, UK, and Australian), French, and German, and more languages such as Korean, Japanese, Italian, Russian, Chinese, and Spanish to follow.
According to Nexus 404 a Chinese tech site, DoNews, claims to have heard from an Apple engineer who has been working on the Chinese version of Siri that the added language capability will be launching as early as next month. Supposedly Apple is already undergoing internal testing this month.
In addition to the language capabilities, the Chinese version will allow users to ask Siri for local information and navigation – a feature that has been restricted to US users so far.
It would be interesting and exciting to know if Apple will indeed be releasing the respective language versions of Siri in March. Siri is no doubt one of the best features of the iPhone 4S and I feel for those folks who aren’t able to experience the convenience (and frustration) from using Siri, simply due to the language barrier.
The report, however, is simply another rumor so there obviously is no guarantee that this would be happening next month. That said, Penn-Olson notes that Apple has said on record that Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Korean, and Spanish support will come to Siri in 2012, so it’s only a matter of time when we would soon be speaking to Siri in Chinese.
As always, we’ll keep you informed of the latest developments.
Image Credit: Macworld
- Chinese, more coming to Siri in March, source claims (macnn.com)
- Rumor: Siri to add Japanese, Mandarin, Russian next month (reviews.cnet.com)
- Apple killer app Siri struggles with Indian regional accents (go.theregister.com)
- Five ways to improve Siri (macworld.com)
- Another reason why Apple may be limiting Siri to iPhone 4S (arstechnica.com)
- Siri brings nearly 25 percent of Wolfram Alpha traffic (reviews.cnet.com)
- Siri may be iPhone 4S-only because of noise reduction tech (tuaw.com)
- A second look (and listen) to Evi voice recognition for iPhone (tuaw.com)