“Chomp’s proprietary algorithm learns the functions and topics of apps, so you can search based on what apps do, not just what they’re called. Try searching for “puzzle games”, “kids games”, “expense trackers”, “tip calculators” or “chat” and start finding great apps.”
Searching for apps in the App Store is, for me at least, always a pain to do. You always get bogus apps (sorry developers, not all apps are bogus but..many still are) and especially while on your iPhone, you’re never certain if this is the app you need for your purposes.
In addition, App Store search isn’t ‘smart’ like Google Search and often pulls up a list of apps that’s completely irrelevant to you but appeared simply because the app shared a ‘related’ keyword.
Good things may be on the way for the App Store – on Thursday, Apple reportedly acquired Chomp, along with its talent to redesign how people find apps through the App Store, according to TechCrunch.
The acquisition will ‘hopefully’ bring more useful search results whenever we search on the App Store – I’m sure we’ll hear more about it in the near future.
If you’re like me and just heard about ‘Chomp’, the app and the web search is still available for free on the App Store and on http://www.chomp.com, so head on over and try it out. It’s pretty nifty, I’m surprised I haven’t found this app earlier!
Image Credit: ZiggyTek
- Apple acquires app discovery start-up Chomp (currenteditorials.com)
- Apple Acquires Chomp to Recreate App Store Search and Discovery (macrumors.com)
- Apple Acquires Chomp; App Store Search And Discovery To Be Completely Revamped (techcrunch.com)
- Apple acquires Chomp to make its App Store search and discovery actually useful (thenextweb.com)
- Report: Apple picks up Chomp to bolster App Store (news.cnet.com)
- Apple Acquires Chomp; App Store Search And Discovery To Be Completely Revamped (MG Siegler/TechCrunch) (techmeme.com)
- What Apple’s Chomp Acquisition Means For the Future of the App Store (readwriteweb.com)
- Apple acquires Chomp for its app discovery tech, talent (theverge.com)
- Android apps more expensive on average than iPhone counterparts (tuaw.com)
- Apple buys Chomp to ‘revamp’ App Store search (techradar.com)
- Daily iPhone App: App Deals helps you score an app while it’s on sale (tuaw.com)