After long months of speculations and rumors, Apple introduced “The new iPad” on Wednesday during the Apple Event in San Francisco. It is quite funny how the industry got most of its specifications correct except for its name – we’ve been betting on an “iPad 3” and “iPad HD” but from now on the next iPad will simply be called the “iPad”.
For those folks anxious to order one, pre-order has already begun on Wednesday and early reports show that the estimated shipping date looks to be backed up until April.
Like we predicted from industry rumors, notable features of the iPad are as follows:
- Retina Display at 2048 x 1536 pixels. Extremely clear display.
- 5 mega-pixels camera with advanced optics, a backside illumination sensor, face detection, etc.
- 1080p video recording
- A5X system-on-chip with quad-core graphics.
- 4G LTE capability
- 10 hours battery life on Wi-Fi and 9 hours on 4G LTE.
- 0.6 mm thicker and weighs 0.67 pounds more than the iPad 2
Pricing of the iPad will remain as before – $499/$599/$699 for Wi-Fi models and $629/$729/$829 for the 4G LTE models (16GB/32GB/64GB).
Apple will continue to offer the 16GB iPad 2 in both Wi-Fi ($399) and Wi-Fi + 3G ($529) models.
The first batch of the worldwide launch will take place on March 16 in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Australia.
The iPad will be available in 26 more countries on March 23: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Puertostan, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden.
- Head-to-head: New iPad vs iPad 2 vs iPad (ibnlive.in.com)
- Hands On With Apple’s New iPad (wired.com)
- Yes, Apple Is Actually Just Calling It ‘iPad’ (techcrunch.com)
- Apple introduces ‘The new iPad’, available starting March 16 (techspot.com)
- 4G iPad 3 confirmed (ubergizmo.com)
- The Reason Apple Named It “The New iPad” (cultofmac.com)
- Apple’s new iPad: 4G, high-res display, quad-core chip (gigaom.com)