Today’s guest post is brought to you by Rod Tolentino, who is a musician and a marketing manager for Repair Labs and Fix-iPhones.com, an industry-recognized specialist in iPhone and iPad accessories as well as iPad and iPhone repair.
So, let me guess: unresponsive home button?
Whether your iPhone recently fell on the floor, is experiencing software issues or your Home button just stopped responding—no one can really give you a definite reason. At this point, the best thing to do is to remedy the situation through simple iPhone repair suggestions gathered online or from your fellow iPhone users.
The square icon on the rounded Home button has always been the trademark and the center of all the work on your Apple’s iPhone and iPad. So when it stops working, it’s a total disaster. But before you plan that trip to the Genius Bar, here are some basic iPhone repair tips that you can work with, in case your Home button does not respond to any press you make.
If you think the problem is your software…
Most Home button issues are software-related. If that’s the case, it’s much easier to fix it yourself than going straight to a Genius Bar. To fix it, you can re-calibrate the Home button by:
- Turning off your iPhone and turning it on again.
- Hold down the Power button once more, but this time, release when the “Slide to Power Off” alert appears on screen.
- Next, hold down the unresponsive Home button until the “Slide to Power Off” alert disappears.
- You can now resume your work by pressing your Home button to test it.
If you think the problem is your hardware…
If the previous workaround did not do the magic for you, obviously, it is the Home button itself that is malfunctioning. Before you seek for assistance, try to:
- Get a q-tip, cottonbuds or any pointed cleaning tool for your iPhone, and soak it in rubbing alcohol.
- Hold down the button while cleaning the rim with the q-tip.
Most hardware issues result from the gunk or dirt that blocks the space for your Home button. But if the problem persists, then it’s time to make that trip to your Genius Bar.
If you need to do an urgent task…
Your iPhone can still work even if the Home button is not working. In cases like this, it is recommended that you turn on your Assistive Touch option.
- Settings > General > Accessibility > “Assistive Touch”
- Tap to switch Assistive Touch “On”
- Translucent button appears on the bottom right (button’s position is movable)
- Tap on the button, 4 options will pop up and one of the options is the Home on-screen button.
If you were able to fix your iPhone through these suggestions, well, kudos to you. But if these simple remedies still won’t work, then it’s time to seek the iPhone doctors.